Sunday, December 2, 2007

Shed Move Follow-up

This is a followup post to Change Of Plans that I posted earlier. I have been slowly working on the move. First disconnecting the power feed from the house, then the power feed from the shed to the fish pond pump, then removing the satellite TV coaxial cable and phone cable. Then I jacked up the shed 1.5 inches to insert a 2x4 underneath it. That will be replaced with 2x8s that I will actually roll the shed on as I move it across the yard. I secured 40 feet of 6 inch diameter steel pipe that I will use as rollers. I will need to cut the pipe in ~3 foot lengths (giving me 12 pieces to use as rollers. I then need to jack up the shed another 6 inches and slide the rollers underneath. Once that is done, I will empty the shed of its contents and begin the move.

Why not empty it and then jack it up, you say??

Simple. I want the time from emptying the contents to the actual move to be as short a period as possible in case it starts to rain. The shed is quite heavy. I could not lift one corner of it up using a 2 ton floor jack. I had to use my 4 ton jack to lift it up. I hope it lightens up a bit when it becomes empty.

Here is a photo of the front of the house. Shed is behind the house on the right. It will be moved so that is is beside the house off the right hand side of the picture.

No comments: