Monday, April 14, 2008

I Still ...Need to Get A Life !

I went out and bought a Linksys WVC54GCA that streams images over 802.11G and hooked up my wireless router to my network. I have the camera FTPing a picture up to the webserver every time it detects motion (as quick as 1 minute intervals). The file is posted on the webpage as something like 080414123422000.jpg. This was a pain in the ass because how was I going to link my webpage to a dynamically changing file name?? Well, I ended up writting a perl script that FTPs to the webserver, determines if there are any files with a "0" in the file name (these snapshots are the only files with a "0" in them) and renames it to garage.jpg. I have this script running at a 2 minute interval on my Vista box using pyCron (an excellent Cron program for Windoze). My Windows XP box is running Windows TimerShot collecting directly connected USB webcam photos for the "weather" picture at www.davidaherron.com. It was a lot of work just so that I can see how my garage gets built.

The next step, that I am a bit hesitant to implement, is opening my firewall up so that I can view the live video feed from the wireless webcam.

Scary stuff, those firewalls, routers, port forwarding, NATing, oh my.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"pycron"

Glad to see you enjoying the joys of Python.