Saturday, May 31, 2008

Toiling in the Trenches

toil 1 (toil)
intr.v. toiled, toil·ing, toils
1. To labor continuously; work strenuously.
2. To proceed with difficulty: toiling over the mountains.
n.
1. Exhausting labor or effort:

I rented a trenching machine this past Friday and dug 2 trenches in my side yard totalling about 100 feet in length. I did this because that side of the yard was uphill and the drainage was very poor. I bought 100 feet of drain tile (4" tubing with holes punched along one side of it to allow water to enter the pipe from the top) and 100 feet of tube sock to prevent large particles of dirt/rocks from getting into the tubing. Once I had the yard trenched, I placed the drain pipe/w socks into the trenches. I then ordered 4 cubic yards of pea gravel to cover the drain tile so that the water could drain down to the tubes easier. I am not sure how much 4 cubic yards of pea gravel weighs, but I am exhausted! This, along with the electrical wiring that I am doing in the garage, at the same time, is killing me. I have completed the following tasks for my electrical work: Mounted exterior meter base, mounted 30-breaker circuit panel, mounted all recepticals and switch boxes throughout the garage, and rough wired one side of the lower part of the garage. This included 1 20-amp circuit to about 10 recepticals and 1 30-amp circuit to 3 recepticals (220 v). I also ran some #6 AWG cable from the circuit panel to one receptical that will be for 50 amp service, also 220v, for my large 230 amp stick welder. I'll work on posting some pictures before I complete too much of the work.

No comments: