Monday, January 5, 2009

HEAT !!! (and lots of it)

I got one of these the other day. It cost me around $65 to fill it up. I did some number crunching and figured this: Propane weighs 4.23 Lbs/Gallon so there should be roughly 23.64 gallons in the tank. My propane heater for the garage produces 50000 BTU/hr at full output. So, knowing that propane contains 91690 BTU/Gallon and the tank holds 23.64 gallons divided by 50000 give me a burn time of about 43 hours. I did a test the other day and found that it took about 30 minutes at full output to bring the garage up from 42 DegF to 62 DegF. And so, at this rate I can do that 86 times with my 100 Lb tank of propane. And that was with only the upstairs insulated. I would imagine that I could heat it up more quickly once I insulate the downstairs too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Won't it be nice when the garage finally becomes a place to work instead of the work itself!

Unknown said...

A garage is like a boat. A boat is just a hole in the water into which you pour money, a garage is just the same, except its on land.

Anonymous said...

So why do you have both?

Unknown said...

I've got more money than sense??