Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The "Cadillac"

I had forgotten how much fun mountain biking was/is. I recently retired my 1995 Trek 8000 in favor of a 2008 (last year's model) Mongoose Teocali Comp. Boy I am glad I did. The ride is ultra-plush, thus the nickname I have given it: the "Cadillac". The previous bike was a front-suspension only bike, but this one is a full (front and rear) suspension bike. The previous bikes front fork used urethane "sticks" as the means of suspension. The new bike uses air and hydraulics (I think). The amount of front fork travel is unbelievable! The old bike had lame brakes and the new one has front and rear hydraulic disc brakes. Yep, you read that right, hydraulic. Mineral oil is used between the brake lever and the brake caliper. No cable streach and thus no need to re-adjust them except for brake pad wear. Sweet!

Here is a picture of the bike:


The Long Travel Front Fork:


The mineral oil reservoir on the brake lever:


The front and rear disc brakes:



And finally, the shock for the rear suspension:



Now, if I just had good knees....

No comments: