Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Ranger. Inspection Rejection.

Well I tried to get the Ranger inspected recently and it got rejected due to a leaky fuel filler tube. How they found THAT out I have no idea since the tank only had about an eigth of a tank of gas in it and it only leaked when the tank was completely full including the filler tube. I think it is an inherent problem with old Rangers. The Ford dealer probably knew that Ranger fuel filler tubes split when they get old and looked at my Ranger with a flexible scope. Bastards! Anyhow, they (the Ford dealer) quoted me a price of $400 for the fuel filler tube and $250 to install it. I bought the tube for $79 off the internet (with free shipping) and installed it myself. I found that removing the entire bed of the truck (6 bolts) was the easiest way to get to the filler tube.

Old tube beside new tube.



Cracks where the fuel was leaking out. Just about the connection with the fuel tank.




Sideways view between the bed and the cab with new tube about to be installed.


Side view of bed half off. I think it would be cool to make it a lift bed dump truck!

No comments: