Friday, July 11, 2008

Boat repairs

I have been cursed with a non-functional gas gauge in the boat ever since I bought it in the fall of 2006. I decided to do something about it this week. I first checked the ohm reading on the sending unit and it showed 0.17 ohms. The normal range is suppose to be 30 to 240 ohms. I also checked a few other things like supply power to the gauge and connected a power source to the gauge and grounded the sending unit lead, which pegged the gauge so I knew the problem did not lie in the gauge itself. I went to the local WestMarine store and got a universal 4" to 28" depth sending unit. This sending unit works for tanks that are from 4 inched to 28 inches deep. I testing the new sending unit before I removed the old sending unit and it worked great. Once I adjusted to float arm to the correct depth of my tank (6 inches) I installed it and the gauge shows full, which is more or less correct. For once an install went without hiccups and no need to go to the store for something that I did not get originally.

No comments: