Friday, July 11, 2008

The proud owner of ...

a new toy for boat navigation. I hate not knowing EXACTLY where I am even for an instant. This should help. Once again I got a great deal on eBay. I haven't actually got it yet but it should get here by next weekend. It was very annoying for the past two years navigating with this running this software and these maps, which are free, connected via bluetooth to this. That's a lot of stuff to rely on out on the water. My biggest complaint was the ability to see the VGA display during bright sunlight. Using this system to navigate in the car using this software is not so bad. Unfortunately, they are now out of bidness....
The other draw back to this kludgeness is that I can not feed a NMEA0183 position fix from my PDA to my Class D DSC capable VHF radio. Now, I'll just need to wire a NMEA0183 cable from the GPS chart plotter to my VHF radio and I'll have my GPS position show up on my radio.

Damn, that was a lot of imbedded links...

No comments: